Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Introduction to the Team




I'm Sincere. I am 1/2 of the founders and editors of Urbane Politics. Here's a little about my background and what motivates me politically.

I've had an interest in politics from as early as I can remember. Born and raised for the first 15 years of my life in Washington DC, I was able to see a side of politics that many don't get a chance to witness. Even though I moved away from the capitol my love for politics and making a difference never ceased. I even considered a career in politics at one point. I don't consider myself a republican or democrat. I guess the closest party affiliation would be an independent since there isn't a party called bipartisan. I have never and I never plan to vote on straight party lines. I feel that I will cast my vote for the person that I feel will be the best representation of me. The political party that is backing them is neither here nor there.

I am all about understanding. I want everyone to be able to understand what is going on and feel as though they can do something to either further encourage or change what is happening around them. I want to be able to cut through all the pandering, back and forth, back-talking, and the loads of other crap that is spewed to us so that you can clearly understand and have a grasp on the laws that govern us. A wise man once said that 'ignorance is no excuse for the law' meaning that just because you are not aware of it does not excuse you from following it. I am here to make you aware. I will always stand for what I feel is right no matter if I am in the minority or majority. You can always count on me to tell you what you need to hear even though it may not be what you want to hear.




And Now a word from the other 1/2 of the team, co-founder and co-editor, Shercole:
Being from Louisiana, politics always ran through my blood. I’m from a state with a rich and often colorful political history. It was only natural; I became interested in governmental affairs. For me, it mainly started in junior/high school based around two things. I was hardcore about having the right to vote. I literally couldn’t wait to vote, because after reading, hearing and just knowing what African Americans as well as women went through just so I could be informed and have the right to vote. It changed me, it made me want to do more, learn more, and just understand more. The second event happening through different points in Junior High and High School, I just took notice of all the great youth programs that were taking place in my city at that time. I was in such things as World of Work Academy (gave me a job in a business in junior high), Teen Camp (got paid to go to camp and learn!), and more. I thought all these new programs to keep kids off the street were phenomenal. So I started paying attention to where the programs came from and became interested at that time in the Mayor Marc Morial Administration in the City of New Orleans. The rest was history.


What is Important to me?
· Straight Talk. I want people of all walks of life to be able to understand what’s going on and have the ability to make informed decisions.
· Community Activism. Each community making sure political officials are doing what is best for them. We as the community have the power and once we begin to understand that and use that as leverage we will begin affecting the decisions these individuals make on our behalf.
· Education. I want government to understand the importance of education and why it needs to be made a priority.
· Economy from Small Business Perspective. This country is made on Small Businesses. They bring in the profit, hiring in the communities, and impacting each state.
· Bipartisanism. Yes I know good luck with that shercole, but Bipartisanism is important to me. Yes, we are all different and have different perspectives based on our experiences, but that should never stop us from making appropriate decisions that affect the community at large. As stated by the Fourth president James Madison in the Federalist Papers, “Danger to democracies were factions” This is groups pushing their agenda to no consequence of the national interest. This is a danger to our democracy.






No comments:

Post a Comment